2022 September Detroit Jazz Festival Robert E. McCabe Guardian Of Jazz Award.
- Detroit Jazz Festival Homecoming Legacy Artist – Recognizing Charles’ lifelong commitment to excellence & the city of Detroit.
2022 February 19 Mayor Ryan D. Stanley of Joplin MO. Proclaims February 29th to be “Charles McPherson Day.”
- Charles was born in Joplin, MO on July 24th, 1939
2021 “The Nash Jazz Beacon Award”
- Presented to Charles McPherson by Lewis Nash for his outstanding contributions to the Jazz community through performing, innovating, and teaching America’s original art-form, Jazz.
2017 “The Duke” Award
- Presented to Charles McPherson, at Soka University for a professional artistic career exemplifying the achievements and high standards of Edward Kennedy Ellington.
2016 15th Annual Don Redman Jazz Heritage Award
- For contributions in jazz education and music, as well as individual musicianship, humanity and dignity
2016 Composer in Residence / San Diego Ballet
2015 Doctor of Fine Arts Honorary degree, California State University San Marcos
2006 San Diego Music Awards Lifetime Achievement Award for Jazz Performance and Education
2005 Hall of Fame Award
- San Diego County African American Heritage Foundation in Recognition of Musical Ability, Community Service and Family Values
2004 Lifetime Achievement Award
- In Recognition of Exceptional Music to Detroit and the World Bakers Keyboard Lounge 70th Anniversary Celebration
2001 Charles McPherson Day
- Greater Cleveland Community
- Stephanie Tubbs Jones Member of Congress / Eleventh District, Ohio
2000 Jazz Achievement Award For Excellence as a Soloist, Composer and Teacher in the Art of Jazz
1997 The Greater Jamaica Development Corporation, Excellence in Your Love and Understanding Past and Present Contribution to Jazz
1994 Outstanding Contribution to Music and African-American Culture
- Society of the Culturally Concerned, Detroit, Michigan
1989 Outstanding Contribution in the Promotions of Jazz Education
1985 Blue Note Award – Musical Excellence in the Jazz Idiom
- Jazz Capitol of the World, New York City
1983 Jeannie Award – For Outstanding Contributions to Jazz and American Culture
- The Jazz Society of Southern California