- This event has passed.
Charlie Parker Festival/Music Institute of Chicago
November 7, 2014 - November 9, 2014
Charles McPherson with Strings
Also joined by the faculty from The Music Institute of Chicago
Chicago Tribune – Celebrating Charlie Parker with a wide-ranging festival (November 6, 2014)
Following is the complete schedule for the Charlie Parker Festival at the Music Institute of Chicago’s Nichols Concert Hall, 1490 Chicago Ave., Evanston. For more information, visit musicinst.org or phone 847-905-1500, ext. 108.
Friday, November 7th
- “Bird With Strings”: Charles McPherson plays music from the “Charlie Parker With Strings” album; Victor Goines presents a world premiere composition; Tammy McCann sings standards. 7:30 p.m.; $30 general; $20 seniors; $10 students
Saturday, November 8th
- Jazz Invitational: Student bands perform, all proceeds going to the Billy Strayhorn Scholarship in Jazz Studies. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; $5.
- Charles McPherson Jazz Clinic. McPherson coaches students, all proceeds going to the Billy Strayhorn Scholarship in Jazz Studies. 3 p.m.; $5.
- Lecture and Book Signing: Stanley Crouch discusses his book “Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker,” moderated by Richard Steele. 4 p.m.; $10
- Bebop Extravaganza: McPherson shares the stage with Music Institute of Chicago jazz faculty: trumpeter Victor Garcia, pianist Jeremy Kahn, bassist Stewart Miller, drummer Ernie Adams and trombonist Audrey Morrison. 7:30 p.m. $30 general; $20 seniors; $10 students